Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Blog 3.1

It's been really busy the last four months. Really, really busy. During this time, I've questioned whether or not to maintain the blog. I've seriously considered fully unplugging from the grid: getting off of facebook, twitter, etc. For what it's worth, I am barely present on facebook, which has basically become nothing more than an rss feed for my twitter updates. Twitter, for that matter, has also been greatly reduced with regards to my daily usage. To be certain, I'm so very limited on time. It's very short and precious right now. However, I really do like writing/journaling/blogging, and the blog medium has given me a space to do this with the greatest consistency since 2004. Additional pros are basically divided into two compelling reasons: First, it helps people in Dallas (and outside Dallas, of course) keep up with our family, and second, it archives stories and thoughts to look back on later, both as an individual to chart growth and also for my children to later read my thoughts and events as my own life progresses. All of these reasons in favor of blogging seem very good to me and have been swirling around my brain for the last few weeks. A couple of days ago, my sister-in-law resurrected her blog, and it really turned up pace of my own thoughts. Part of my hesitation revolves around self-imposed pressure for consistency and general excellence (if not perfection). These are tough qualities for me to maintain with a blog, especially over long periods of time. So, I've kept on considering...

...and considering...

...but then it hit me. The reason I like to blog is actually rather selfish. I do it for me.

It simply helps me think. I'm a verbal processor, and this is how I dialogue with both my muses. While it is a way I am able to share my life, it is also how I intellectually strive for truth. It is how I interact with my own thoughts that allow me to be clearer and better spoken when I engage others in the real world. Also, it helps keep me accountable to my passions for researching and thinking by providing a space to spill my thoughts. It keeps my mind energized and engaged in a sphere I want to keep thinking about, hopefully maintaining some relevance and slowing the dulling process so to avoid reaching a fatal moment when I can no longer add value. Lastly, though very relatedly, it keeps my dreams alive. So, I do it for me. Having fully embraced this, I'm going to again be selfish and remove (as best I can) my self-impossed pressures for consistency and perfection. I will write when I can, and it might just be a bit messy from time to time.

I've also combined my blogs and will be only writing on Anthological Prolegomena. In reality, I did this a year ago, as no knew postings went on the (re)public house, except of course for links to this one. To that end, I imported all previous posts from the (re)public house to Anthological Prolegomena. As prior comments were all kept on (what was then) Haloscan, those will not move over. There might be a way, but I'm sure it's tedious, and I already said I'm not going for perfection right now. This will drive my obsession for consistency crazy, but I'm sure it's good for me to let it go. If you (for whatever reason) want to see comments on imported posts, then just go to the (re)public house to the same date as the imported post, and you'll see the original post with comments. I'm doubtful anyone really cares though. I don't.

Therefore, this blog will include all. It is now a space for me to share my thoughts on not just theology and Christendom but also my life, including family, friends, and work.

So, that being said, I'm back. Hopefully I'll see you here.

1 Comments:

Blogger ryan said...

Glad to see you back, buddy. Keep the words flowin'.

June 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home