Saturday, June 5, 2010

Church Shopping

There's a certain sort of shopping I dislike: Church Shopping. It just feels wrong. It awkwardly tests my deep frustration for modern consumerist Christianity, in that, I am, myself, "shopping" for a church based upon theology, catholicity, teaching acumen, community, geography ... and honestly, probably a lot of individual personal preference. It's really difficult, especially with all of the new variables involved with children's programs. So that you understand the depth of our search, we/I have visited the following churches up here:

Anglican/Episcopal
Presbyterian (PCA)
Presbyterian (PCUSA)
Methodist (UMC)
Baptist (SBC)
Roman Catholic

Quite the diversity, eh? Anyone who knows me is well aware of my theological and historical passions. So, to no surprise to those around me, a Methodist or Baptist church is really a place I never thought I'd visit. To be honest, any Protestant church stretches me right now. Yet, what we're finding is that, at the end of the day, what we know to be true is true: the Church, the Bride of Christ, is the people, and this is where we need to start. This is the place, in all likelihood, that our closest network of friends will come from. We need a place local that we can plug in and serve. We need a place that loves Christ, our family, and our children. So, if the church is SBC but not all that Southern Baptist, then okay, it's probably worth a decent look (not to pick on the Baptists, but as a somewhat tongue-in-cheek...but not that much...example). At the same time, I am so very concerned about what will be taught our children, and I don't want to be in the position where I'm always disagreeing with the teaching, especially with future children's and youth groups. This is so very important. Very important.
So, we're struggling to find the right place with the right balance. Furthermore, we're trying to find a church with good diversity of age, which is surprisingly difficult. It's just such a necessity to have people around who are older and have walked through life before us. So many variables, and it just seems so hard.
All that said, we know that God has the right place for our family - and that's key, because we're looking for the right church for all of our family. Here's hoping He leads us there soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger arbuckle said...

So what's still holding you back from just committing to the RC fold, my papist friend in Oklahoma doing mysterious things?

June 6, 2010 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger matthew said...

Converting to RC is just such a big move that requires a near complete level of certainty that I don't have right now. Plus, it would be an even bigger move for Katie and our family, and I really think that there would have to be a lot of study and consideration as a family, not just myself. It's a struggle between leading where I think is right and not putting out hurdles and removing my family from a place where they are growing. I don't see how I can force a crossing of the rubicon when there is dynamic growth on the side we're currently on as a family. In short, while I think I can be tempted to justify a move like that through "leadership" and such words that (ironically) evangelicals love so much now days, I think it would actually be rather selfish. We may go there one day, but I don't really see the need to rush. Much of this is because when squarely in the throws of Protestantism, I never bought the (staggering and grossly disheartening) lie that Catholics weren't Christians. Likewise, while I believe catholicity and communion with Christians throughout time and space to be a prime issue, I believe those faithful to Christ outside the broad walls of Orthodox, RC, and Anglican traditions to of course qualify as Christians as well. Therefore, I have patience and ultimately faith in God leading us where we need to be when we need to be there. That might change through time, or it might not. As of now, I'm fine with that...though in a manner that still struggles mightily.

June 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger matthew said...

...and, ironically enough, the RC parish I've visited is the one across from my office, which gave me high hopes for a mid-week Eucharist. Anyway, I walked out after 15 minutes - it was every negative stereotype about the RC Church rolled into one, which was very disheartening.

June 6, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger arbuckle said...

Thanks for the thoughtful response--I appreciate your earnest wrestling and desire to maintain a humble dependence on the sovereignty and grace of our Father.

June 6, 2010 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i just googled your location and my freinds, and was sad to see that you are 3 hours from each other. she and her husband relocated to OK from MA earlier this year for her husband to take a lead pastor role at a church there. M is also ordained (american baptist) and the '2 revs' have been missed in our community. i hope that your search reaches a happy fruition soon.

June 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home