Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A weekend of bliss.

A couple of days ago, Katie and I came off the first weekend we've had alone together since Caroline was born. Though we both, of course, greatly missed Caroline, we had an amazingly wonderful time. I felt it best to recount our weekend through food.

Friday night, we went to Fuji for sushi. A friend of mine from work knows the owner and spoke really highly of it, so we thought we'd give it a shot. We've both been craving sushi for a long time, but we hadn't yet gotten out to try the local spots, Kang's perhaps being the most famous for our area. It was huge success. So stinkin' great. Anyway, we're looking forward to visiting the other local sushi spots, but we think we found a definite keeper in our arsenal.

The next morning, Katie and I got up and ventured to the farmer's market. I think we were both presently surprised, and we quickly stated that we want to make Saturday morning jaunts here routine. We've been greatly enjoying the fruits (pun intended) of our visit the last few days.

After hitting the market, we ventured to Big Truck Tacos, a very Austin-esque taco joint. If you know Katie and I well at all, then you are well aware of our devotion to breakfast tacos (or burritos). I believe we have found a home in Big Truck Tacos. A catering truck that opened a restaurant, this trendy hole in the wall, is authentic mexi-awesome.

For lunch, we had Thai food, which only goes to show that we were on a roll of gastronomical greatness. This is quickly becoming the greatest weekend ever.

Saturday dinner was slated for me on the grill. The choice as to what would go on this champion of the patio was easy: THICK bacon wrapped filets with veggies. The only problem with our dinner was the absence of a wine bottle on our table, but that's the sacrifice one makes with a pregnant wife. Luckily, she's worth the abstinence.

Sunday morning we slept in (and by "we," I mean Katie slept in and I read the paper). After moseying around a bit, we decided it would be an excellent decision to grab brunch at Cheevers. What a brilliant move on our parts. Very cute atmosphere and exceptional food. Katie, though I have no idea how to describe what she got, said that it was "one of the most phenomenal meals that [she] had ever put in her mouth." Pretty high praise, huh? Well, it was quite good, and we're both really excited to go back together. (Unfortunately for her, I'm already scheduled to go back for lunch next week without her...)

Sunday night, I concluded the weekend with a luxurious Trappist Rochefort 10. There might be a better way to end a great weekend of food and fun with my wife, but I can't imagine one. Simply perfect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Handyman Chris said...

Sounds (and looks) like a perfect weekend! Miss our lunches.

June 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM  
Anonymous liz said...

It looks like you guys had a great weekend and I love how all of the restaurants you went too. OKC has never looked so appetizing!

June 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

Chris, I miss our lunches too - though, you bailed long before I did!

PoohBear - come eat with us.

June 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home